Saturday, December 19, 2020

WHEN 

EVERYTHING’S

SO SPECIAL.

a double pick six


by Hunter Jon


I believe the televised or straight-to-video holiday special is a tradition as old as time itself, and it’s one that I enjoy immensely. The idea alone keeps me warm and helps me sleep at night.


As wonderful as a good Christmas movie can be, there’s something about seeing characters you already know and love suddenly celebrating the holidays that causes a coziness you simply can’t beat.


(Ok, maybe not every inclusion stars characters you’ve logged tons of hours watching, but they bring some story to life that you’ve enjoyed many times in another medium. So, the characters feel familiar enough for aforementioned coziness to occur.)


Each one of these picks holds such a special place in my holiday heart. I watch them every year around this time, and it’s very hard for me to feel the presence of the holidays without them.


We’re going to go about this ‘six’ a little differently, though. Not only am I going to resist commenting on these, I’m not even going to label them with titles. It’s up to you to recognize the ones you know and decipher those you don’t. Furthermore, this is two lists in one; my gift to you, dear reader.


So, here are my six favourite animated holiday specials…


(I’ve included the appropriate amount of honourable mentions)











… and here are my six favourite live-action holiday specials…


(I’ve included the appropriate amount of honourable mentions)








Happy Holidays.

No comments: