Saturday, April 25, 2020

TIM BURTON.
a ranking

by Hunter Jon

He meant a lot to me growing up. First and foremost there was Spielberg, of course, but then there was Burton. Steven made you feel like you were cool and fit in with the crowd because everyone knew him and you could talk to anyone about his stuff. But Tim made you feel ok when the crowd got too much and you just wanted to be alone. Tim was there for you every time your parents said, “Sorry, he’s just shy.” He was there for you when you found out she liked the other guy. He was there for you when you didn’t look like everyone else. He was there for you when that invitation never came. I could go on and on about how he accomplished this. About what he means to a generation of misfits and odd ones out. But those interested in reading that dissection wouldn’t need to read it. If you’re a Lydia, a Vincent, a Sally, an Edward, a Selina or so on - than you already know. Besides, I’d rather not as I suspect it would be hard for me. I might get mixed up and emotional. Because I don’t know Tim anymore. I don’t recognize him. So either I, in my youth, projected someone onto him that he never was or he has changed. I’m just talking about Burton the artist, I should point out. That’s the only face of his I know or have the right to think that I do. But I look into the eyes of that face and they aren’t the ones I knew. So that makes me a little sad. I must admit that. But that’s on me. That’s for me to deal with. He didn’t do anything wrong and I’m certain he doesn’t care what some face that isn’t his actual one looked or looks like to me. He’s got money to count and sad things to draw. Luckily for me the tales he told that mean so much to me have not gone anywhere. They are still there for me whenever I need them. Sometimes I don’t even need to watch them. All I have to do is remember. Remember watching a rebellious loner go on a big adventure every day after school for a year. Remember being thrilled and frightened by a bat, a cat and a bird. Remember a name I should not say three times but desperately want to. Remember a movie premiere in the pouring, black and white rain. And, most fondly of all, remember a boy with a big heart who just wasn’t finished.

Here is my ranking of every movie directed by Tim Burton that I have seen. From least favourite down to most. Each one is rated out of four stars.

ALICE IN WONDERLAND (2010) *1/2

PLANET OF THE APES (2002) **

DUMBO (2019) **

CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY (2005) **

DARK SHADOWS (2012) **

MISS PEREGRINE’S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN (2016) **

BIG EYES (2014) **

FRANKENWEENIE (2012) **1/2

SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET (2007) **1/2

MARS ATTACKS! (1996) **1/2

SLEEPY HOLLOW (1999) **1/2

CORPSE BRIDE (2005) ***

BATMAN (1989) ***

BATMAN RETURNS (1992) ***

FRANKENWEENIE (1984) ***

PEE-WEE’S BIG ADVENTURE (1985) ***

BIG FISH (2003) ***

BEETLEJUICE (1988) ***

VINCENT (1982) ***1/2

ED WOOD (1994) ***1/2

EDWARD SCISSORHANDS (1990) ****

No comments: