Saturday, April 25, 2020

GOES SOMETHING LIKE THIS.
a pick six 

by Hunter Jon

It’s a very vulnerable thing to tell anyone who is listening something that made you laugh. Because they might not laugh. Whether you recreate it or show them the original, that moment of silence following the punchline is incredibly uncomfortable and awkward. The person who did not laugh thinks less of you. You just know it. And there is very little to do in this moment other than immediately excuse your embarrassed self and never contact that person again.

Here are my six favourite stand-up comedy specials of all time.

(I’ve included the appropriate amount of honourable mentions)

MORGAN MURPHY: IRISH GOODBYE (2014)

COMEDY CENTRAL PRESENTS: MITCH HEDBERG (UNCUT) [1999]

JEN KIRKMAN: I’M GOING TO DIE ALONE (AND I FEEL FINE) [2015]

PATRICE O’NEAL: ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM (2011)

DYLAN MORAN: MONSTER (2004)

COMEDY CENTRAL PRESENTS: JEREMY HOTZ (2000)

DAVE CHAPPELLE: KILLIN’ THEM SOFTLY (2000)

BRIAN REGAN: I WALKED ON THE MOON (2004)

BILL BURR: I’M SORRY YOU FEEL THAT WAY (2014)

RICHARD PRYOR: LIVE IN CONCERT (1979)

No comments: