Thursday, December 2, 2021

REVENGE OF RADIO

a pick six


by Hunter Jon


If someone had told you twenty years ago that something comparable to radio would give listening to music a run for its money, you probably wouldn’t have believed them. But this is where we find ourselves. Podcasts are a full blown industry now and, to some people, have replaced music.


When my mental health was at its worst, I prescribed myself podcasts daily. They didn’t save me, but they got me by. There’s something about that fly-on-the-wall feeling that acts like an antidote to loneliness. It’s a sensation that no song can quite equate. An illusion that you’re a part of a conversation is created, and you just accept (or ignore) that it’s one you can’t chime in on. You chose whether that conversation is a funny one, a profound one, an educational one - whatever you need in that moment.


We’ve literally witnessed the birth of a new medium (or the repackaging of one of the oldest), and in accordance with the niche market landscape that the entertainment industry has become, it’s one that can survive without ever going mainstream. Unless you leap out of the medium and into another one, you’re never selling out, no matter how many ads you read aloud. With this comes another birth, one of a new business model that works on the same principles as anyone making a living online. Let’s sum it up like this: prior to the internet, you were either a small fish in a big pond or a big fish in a small pond. Now every fish gets their own pond… and the water is supplied by fans, not fishermen.


It’s extremely hard to create a successful podcast out of thin air, but if you’re a stand-up, a reporter/anchor, an influencer, a blogger - basically have any kind of following to begin with, it’s not too hard to grow that base into a much larger audience with a decent podcast. You don’t need a network, a studio, a boss - anything like that - to get the wheels rolling. If you’re lucky enough to take off, your fanbase will keep you in the air from there. This grants complete creative control and freedom, opening the door to all kinds of content we never would have gotten otherwise. And I believe we’re all benefiting. In fact, I see no real downside to podcasting. That’s kind of remarkable.


Here are my six favourites.


Two Australian guys, James Clement (aka Mr Sunday Movies) and Nick Mason, gab about movies, TV, comics, etc. They’re good friends with a good rapport and good perspective. I never tire of hearing their speculations and/or opinions, even if I don’t necessarily agree. They never troll nor take these things too seriously, and actually make being a nerd feel cool. I once listened to so many episodes in a row that I started thinking in an Australian accent.


Paul Scheer, June Diane Raphael, Jason Mantzoukas and a special guest provide commentary (although not a literal track) on some of the “worst” movies ever made. That’s the set up - but I’m tuning in for the punchline: their chemistry. When all three (or four, technically) get laughing, there’s no better place to be. I’ve had some of the best times of my life watching things like “Ernest Goes to Jail” or ’96’s “The Island of Dr. Moreau” in anticipation of the accompanying episode, which never disappoints.


Comedy nerd nirvana. Whereas some might find him annoying, I find Pete’s energy and enthusiasm absolutely exhilarating. I applaud such a thirst for knowledge and zest for life in these cynical times. This show heals wounds (mine, Holmes’, his guest’s) while I laugh - what’s better than that? I’ve listened to the Zach Galifianakis episode more than any other podcast episode. At least a dozen times. When, prefacing a story about fans being inappropriate, he says, “Look, I was having a private moment on a ferry…” I die.


There’s something about the live audience atmosphere, and hearing a whole crowd laugh at the same moment you do, that is the ultimate cure for feeling alone. And the fact that most out of the shout-outs are couples reaffirming their love keeps me ever hopeful. I didn’t even know who Ralph Garman was when, as a longtime Kevin Smith, I first tuned into this. Now, having listened to this religiously for so long, I can’t imagine my life without Ralph. Garmy strong.


We’re all indebted to this guy. Because this show is so important. It documents modern history. Simple as that. Maron has grown into the Carson of podcasting. Which is to say he’s a comedian who’s mastered the entertaining interview format better than anyone. He is, to me, the definitive podcast host. So many people have shamelessly adopted his format. I believe the actual definition of genius is everything that comes after being imitation. Well, Marc himself might not be a genius… but his podcast is, certainly, genius.


Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier. We were all introduced to them as director & producer… and now they’re an incomparable comedy duo. The sheer unlikeliness of that alone is fun. But it ultimately doesn’t matter where they came from - this stands alone as a brilliant piece of serial entertainment. There is no structure beyond ‘Kev and Scott talk’, which has been a boon to the show and led them down limitless avenues. At times insightful. At times emotional. Always hilarious. It brings me comfort and joy the likes of which I can only find one other place: “The Simpsons”. That’s just about the highest praise I can give.

1 comment:

Michael C said...

Hey Hunter,

Thanks for your blog about podcasts.I have never listened to any podcasts ( old school), but your enthusiasm and advice about how they helped you through feeling alone and isolated with depression really resonated with me.

Also I liked your list of “ Winter Songs”. I agree that Enya’s “ And Winter Came” is the best #1.

I am a follower. ( as the kids say)

Michael (aka Mr. Campbell)