Wednesday, June 10, 2020

ONE ROLE IS (SOMETIMES) ALL YOU NEED.
a pick six

by Hunter Jon

I recently realized there are a handful of performers, specifically actresses, whom I’m a huge fan of despite having (mostly) only seen them play one role.

Here are my top six examples.

(I’ve included the appropriate amount of honourable mentions)


I’ve never seen her in anything else, and I almost don’t want to. I love her so much as the Queen of the Jungle that, no matter how unfair of me, I worry her impressing me elsewhere might spoil my enjoyment of the show’s quaint purity. I even have a hard time seeing her in photoshoots wearing normal civilian clothing. She looks just plain weird. And although a couple other actresses have played the jungle punk rocker and I’ve enjoyed many of the comics, Irish is to this character what Connery is to Bond times ten - the role with forever be associated with her and vice versa. It’s pointless trying to fill her shoes because she isn’t wearing any.


She was the very first live action Lois Lane the world ever saw, I believe, playing her in two serials to Kirk Alyn’s Superman/Clark Kent. Then she replaced Phyllis Coates in “Adventures of Superman” opposite George Reeves. I’m more familiar with her work in the serials, but from the few episodes I have seen of the series, she didn’t miss a step crossing over. There’s a steadiness and consistency to her Lane that’s comforting. I honestly believe that when people set out to play Lois they mostly skip the source material and, whether aware of it or not, take their cue from Noel. Kidder was good. Durance was great. But it’s Neill’s voice and inflection that I hear in my head when I read Lois in the comics. I don’t think I’m alone in thinking hers is the definitive portrayal, either, as she had fan-service cameos in both Donner’s “Superman” and “Superman Returns”.


A lot of people have played Jane Porter (aka Parker). A lot of very talented people, from Enid Markey to Margot Robbie. Yet it’s O’Sullivan’s interpretation of the character that still sets the gold standard and remains the most well-remembered. She’s just that good. She never simply settled into playing Jane one way, either. Just when you’ve decided range isn’t necessary to recognize talent, she manages to show off just that by having the character grow, learn and mature from one instalment to the next. Proof that franchises can be a blessing for a performer, not a curse, as the longer it runs the more chances you get to flex and strengthen every muscle the character has to offer and widen their arc. Technically, I’ve seen her in other things. “Hannah and Her Sisters” and “Anna Karenina” come to mind. And she was, of course, great in those, too. But when I hear or read her name I think of nothing but her taking her time over six movies to master this role like no one else has.


“A Matter of Life and Death”. “A Streetcar Named Desire”. When I watch those movies I see a wonderful actress named Kim Hunter doing just that - acting. But when I watch one of the first three “Planet of the Apes” movies I just see Zira. A whole, complete character. Not even a character, actually - a person. Fully realized, three dimensional and alive. And while the make-up is, naturally, a factor when it comes to her disappearing into the role… it’s more than that. It’s those eyes. That body language. The cock of her head when she’s curious. The crinkle of her nose when she’s surprised. It’s one of my favourite performances ever and based on it and it alone do I consider her one of my favourite actresses. Those other performances are just gravy.


I’ve never seen her in another movie. I have, however, seen another actress attempt to play Roxie Hart on the big screen. Which only makes me love Haver, and her far keener approach to the character, all the more. I watch this often and am very aware that she’s what keeps me coming back for more.


It should be a case of someone honing a performance. Of her getting better as she explored the character over time. But the truth is that Laverne was fully realized from episode one. Penny delivered right off the bat and would continue to do so, never once phoning it in, for nearly a decade. When you can not for the life of you picture or imagine a single other person playing a certain role, some seriously unique talent is at work. I’m sure she was already a great character in the script, but brought to life by Marshall she rightfully became, and remains, one of the most iconic and beloved of all time. And, as much as they work best together, I wouldn’t tune into a show called just “Shirley”… but I would watch the shit out of “Laverne”.


I’m a massive fan, but, to be fair, mostly of Rosemary Clooney the singer. When it comes to Rosemary Clooney the actress, “White Christmas” is all I have to base an opinion on, as it’s the only thing I’ve ever seen her in. So what is that resulting opinion? She’s number two on this list - that should speak for itself. I watch Betty fall in, then out of, then back in love every year and never tire of it. Everything about this character is a refreshing delight. Clooney brings a calm, cool air to her that seems almost out of place given the era and genre. Like a femme fatale, except this one’s in technicolour and sings. She starts off so cold and stubborn that when she begins to melt a little you find yourself doing the same. By the time she’s found true happiness, I’m a puddle.


Yeah, I’ve seen Blanche. Like, twice. But fuck Blanche. This might be the greatest performance of all time and those who think she’s over the top are missing the whole point. Talent is on display here like you’ve never seen. Every bit of admiration and respect I have for this woman is because she played Scarlett O’Hara the way she did and as well as she did.

No comments: